A Day in the Life of Vivica

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Travel day...

Click here to return to VivicaGenaux.com

Yesterday in Santiago was a "sit-in-the-hotel-room-and-wait-for-the-concert" day, so there wasn't much to write about. We did have kind of a dress-rehearsal in the morning from 10-12:30 where I basically just marked (yes, jb, I "sang verrrrrry quietly"...) then went back to the hotel and played the waiting game. Usually on performance days I take a nap in the afternoon to give myself a fresh start, eat about two hours before concert time, then head to the theater to warm up. Yesterday was no different, but tomorrow and Saturday I'm going to have to improvise a bit... I'm a creature of room service, and unfortunately the hotel I'm in today in Amsterdam has neither room service nor a mini-bar fridge. Saturday we'll be leaving from our hotel for the performance venue about 3 hours before the concert, so I'm going to have to work that out as well... I think finding food at the right times can be the hardest part of being a singer!

Anyway, the concert last night in Santiago went well, finishing up around 11:30PM. Mo. Labadie and I were then invited out for dinner by the festival's organizer, and had the most *amazing* steak- even better than a "fiorentina", but I then begged off dessert because it was already half-past midnight and the bus was taking us all to the airport at 8AM. These are the true sacrifices of being a singer! No wine for dinner, and no panna-cotta for dessert! If that's as bad as it ever gets, I guess I'll survive.

Got back to the hotel a little after 1AM, packed up my suitcase and got to bed around 2. At 6:45 up again to get ready and check out, and by 8AM we were all loaded on the bus and off to the airport. The organization so far has been really wonderful, and check-in went super smoothly. I remember being on tour with Akademie für Alte Musik when we did the Farinelli album and there were all sorts of problems for the poor cello players because they have to bring their instruments with them on board, they can't be checked in, and as cellos neither fit in the overhead compartment nor under the seat in front of you, the orchestra has to pay an extra ticket for each cell0. Somehow the airline staff didn't understand this concept and, having overbooked the flight, insisted that the cellos needed to be checked luggage even though they had paid tickets. This was eventually resolved (cellists and instruments all got seated and comfy), but we then found ourselves sitting on the plane at the gate for about 45 minutes. Finally, it became clear this was due to the fact that the stewardess hadn't understood why her head-count wasn't agreeing with the ticketed passenger list, and she made an announcement apologizing for the delay, saying that she now understood that "cellos were people too". Anyhow, that's the sort of thing you have to expect on tour with an orchestra!

So, here I sit in my hotel room again- I found a supermarket and got something to eat in my room as I really don't feel like going out to a restaurant. I think for tomorrow the hotel clerk has worked out a way of getting some chinese food delivered about 4:30, so I should be ok! We shall see...

2 Comments:

  • Avanti, gonfalonieri!

    Cheers,

    Mario.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:42 PM  

  • ...und Gutes Glück mit den Violinen des Königs.

    (whatever)

    Ich liebe dich!

    Cheers.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home